Internet Safety Manual for family & friends to support digitalization in India
Category : Blog
Internet Safety Manual for family & friends
Internet safety manual or common hygiene to be maintained by common people while they are on the internet is really missing in India. We at Indian Cyber Security Solutions have taken the major step to educate the common people how to use internet safely. Do`s and don’ts on the internet.
We are on the verge of digitization and in support to the vision of our Honorable Prime Minister Mr. Modi we would like to introduce some of the major factors one should keep in mind while they are doing online transactions and are active in social media or when using public WiFi.
Do`s and Don`ts in the cyber space – Golden rule for the internet
- How to create a strong password: Strong passwords are of 12 to 14 character long with a combination of upper case, lower case, special characters and numbers. Best way to remember your password is to make it very simple and use a leet language. For example, “ABHISHEK” should be “@3#1$#3K”. Replace characters like A with @, B with 3, H with # is one of the best way to create password which is easy to remember for the user and hard for the hacker to guess and crake it. Before you set a password it is very important to know how strong is the password you have thought to set. To understand this or rather get a definit answer you should always take the help of the website: https://howsecureismypassword.net/ . This will tell you exactly how long will it take to brake your password.
- Use of Password Manager Tools: It is very hard forn the individuals to remember all the passwords for different accounts, PIN numbers of your ATM cards. People do a common mistake in saving them into note pads or sticky notes on desktops which are dangerous. Simple remedy to the complex situation is to have a folder with all passwords and make that folder lock with a password protected application. We advocate you use an online available password vaults for mobiles and desktops. Check out PC Magazine for some of the most popular solutions.
- Use Multi-factor authentication: Always use the security features for login purpose. 2 factor authentication or multi-factor authentications are the normal security features provided by companies as a security parameter to authenticate the user and enhance safety measures. Some of the examples are proving fingerprint, codes delivered to the mobile number etc.
- Update your WiFi Router: Updating doesn’t only mean upgrading the software but also change the default password and user name of the router. Most people never change them and the default factory settings user name remains admin and the password remains admin. People do not even change the security level of the router and it is highly recommended to use a WPA2 security encryption. It is must for every person to change the wifi passwords every week and make this a habit for a secured future. Avoid using public You can go through the different types of encryptions to be used by WiFi.
- Always be curious about the sender: When you are online you can easily be the victim of a scam. Never trust blindly to any message on the social media provoking you to open a file or give the credentials. It can be from your friend or a family member but always take a small step to reconfirm the action. Give them a call and confirm about the instruction provided by the sender. There are numerous ways scammers and cyber criminals can fool the common people.
As all our religious books like Geeta, Bible, Quran protects humanity in this world by guiding them to the right way to live. This few points can help common persons be safe in the digital space. Cyber security is not to make the common person be afraid and make them scare but to help them lead a secured digital life and help them maintain digital privacy.
At Indian Cyber Security Solutions, we deal with numerous cyber-criminal cases. Where organizations networks or websites being hacked by hackers and many intellectual properties are being compromised. We provide digital solutions like network penetration testing and web penetration testing to mitigate the further risk. Implementing some regulatory frameworks and being audited on a regular interval can help an organization be safe and secure in the cyber space.