MOL – IT
About the Client
MOL Information Technology (MOL-IT) provides customized ICT solutions to the MOL group of companies in the domains of shipping, logistics, etc.
Web Application Penetration Testing
MOL Information Technology established in Kolkata Salt lake, Sec V was facing Web-based application Security Challenge. They had to undergo a Web Application penetration testing to secure their Website. Our Web Application Penetration tester was asked to take up the challenge and secure the website by undergoing Web Application penetration testing.
Indian Cyber Security Solutions was ready to perform the Web-based application penetration testing on their website. ISO 27001 lead auditor and Web Application Penetration tester were assigned to take up this challenge. The project was to be done in 3 stages and to be delivered within 8 working days.
The security assessment steps are as follows:
The scope of work was defined by the client (MOL Information Technology). The layout of the web application was share with Indian Cyber Security Solutions. NDA documents (Non-Disclosure-Agreement) signed between both the parties.
Stage 2: Risk Management & Mitigation
The 2nd Stage of risk management and mitigation has started, evaluating the key assets involved in the web application such as firewalls, IDS, IPS, routers and others. Few High & Low level vulnerabilities were found by Indian Cyber Security Solutions such as ‘SQL Injection‘ (High Level Vulnerability), ‘HTML Injection’ (High Level Vulnerability), ‘Cross-Site Scripting’ (High Level Vulnerability), ‘Cross-Site Request Forgery’ (High Level Vulnerability) ‘Cross-Origin Resource Sharing‘ (Low Level Vulnerability) etc.
Stage 3: Rectification as per suggestion
The 3rd stage which is the most important stage of the project as the client was suggested the rectification from Indian Cyber Security Solutions and the client had to patch up vulnerabilities as per the suggestion. MOL Information Technology web Developers were able to find out solutions as per the suggestion mentioned by the Indian Cyber Security Solutions team.
Stage 4: Final Assessment and VAPT project submission
At the end of the 5th working day, MOL Information Technology Web Developers had already patched the High & Low-level vulnerabilities found by the Indian Cyber Security Solutions team. The final stage of vulnerabilities assessment had begun as the Indian Cyber Security Solutions team members had started retesting the web application as mentioned in the scope of work to find out all the high & low-level vulnerabilities which were found previously and were patched and no high or medium-level vulnerabilities prevail. Indian Cyber Security Solutions team was able to generate the VAPT report and handed over the document to the client along with the certificate. Indian Cyber Security Solutions team had again achieved and completed the assigned task within the stipulated time. Indian Cyber Security Solutions team had again shown high-quality professionalism by meeting up the deadlines.
The customized reports were provided to the Client as per their requirements the details are mentioned below:
- Executive Presentation: Overview of the entire application, the vulnerabilities found and the recommendations were made to mitigate the threats identified on the software.
- Detailed Technical Report: Detailed Technical Report has been generated on the basis of Proof-of-Concept, detailed exploitation of all the identified vulnerabilities.
- Excel Tracker: Vulnerability tracker aimed at helping the IT assets owner keep track of the vulnerabilities, remediation status, action items, etc.
The benefits are discussed below by conducting thorough security tests and identifying the vulnerabilities:
- Risk Benefits: Risk management of the issue by finding the vulnerabilities and recommended solutions with proven methods to enhance security.
- Cost Savings: Indian Cyber Security Solutions suggested Risk mitigation measures are cost-effective based on the client’s requirements.
- Client Satisfaction: Web-Application Security Assessment was conducted with minimum interruption to identify security vulnerabilities, impacts, and potential risks.