Category : Blog
Why Shopping Mall is being targeted by Hackers?
Last few years were critical for many companies in the E-commerce sector, due to the high amount of cyber-attacks and emerging threats.
Study of Business Insider shows that for the period of one year at least 16 separate security breaches have occurred at large retailers. Many of them are due to security flaws in payment systems.
Recent report by shape Security showed that many people that log in to a retailer’s E-commerce site are hackers using stolen data. This is the highest percentage of any sector. Some of the largest retailers like Adidas, Macy’s, Best Buy, Forever 21 and others have been affected. Large amount of compromised data is being sold on “dark web”, including databases with personal data, credit card numbers and confidential corporate data, used by the competitors.
Lets See What CEO of Indian Cyber Security Solutions, Mr. Abhishek Mitra has said about this
Another issue in the sector is being caused by the high amount of IoT devices, which allow more and better ICMP and DDOS attacks to be crafted. Many vulnerabilities are caused due to input validation errors, client side gaps, vulnerabilities in database servers or network related vulnerabilities.
It is very important for an E-commerce organization to provide layered security infrastructure, as well as to perform regular assessments in order to check the security of their systems, networks, web and mobile applications and employees.
GDPR and other law requirements provide a strong challenge for most organizations, operating with personal data.
In the white paper we will observe the following topics:
- Some of the issues that you can face.
- Famous attacks in the sector.
- Protection mechanisms.
- Basic security measures.
Attacks Shopping mall industry have seen in past
Malware is malicious software, developed by malicious hackers to gain access or cause damage to a computer system or network, often without the knowledge of the affected user.
Malware is often called ‘computer virus’, although there are big differences between these types of malicious software.
Magento and other E-commerce platforms are particularly vulnerable to widespread malware infections due to their prevalence in the market. Malware can perform an extremely wide range of activities. It can use your computer as part of a botnet in order to launch DDOS attacks, steal credit card numbers or sensitive account information from the users of your website. A famous malware, intended to target Magento sites, had the functionality to extract credit card information and store it in images so that the attacker could easily access it without raising any alarms.
Log files can be used by an attacker to inject malicious content or forge log entries if there is a vulnerability which allows unvalidated user input to be written in the logs.
Log injection vulnerabilities occur when the data comes from an untrusted source or the data is written to an application or system log file.
Log files are typically used by the applications to store a history of events or transactions which could be later reviewed. Logs could also be used for statistics gathering, or debugging. Depending on the application’s functionality, log files could either be reviewed manually or with the help of automated tool that automatically reads logs and searches for trending information or important events.
Log files might get corrupted if an attacker can supply data to the application that is subsequently logged verbatim.
Bots have many names – crawlers, spiders, Internet robots, web bots and more. They are frequently used to perform repetitive jobs and simple tasks, like indexing a search engine. However they often come as part of a malware. They are used to gain full control over a computer system. Some of them have the functionality to infect the host and connect back to a CNC (command and control) central server(s), which could be used to control a network of compromised computers and hosts.
- Fraud – Bots can prevent your legit users from purchasing items by sending many purchasing requests for an item in order to make it appear out of stock for your clients. They can also list your items for sale in other sites at a lower price. Bots could also be used to attempt to brute-force the credentials of your consumers. In case of a successful login they can also resell the information to a third party. In case that someone is able to use the credit card of your clients, that could ruin the trust among them.
- Price Scraping – Price scrapping is a technique used to craw an online store for its prices along with product catalog information, with the help of bots. It is often used by competitors in order to steal the dynamic pricing of a website, which is extremely important in the E-commerce platforms. The reason for this is that many consumer-buying decisions and revenue forecasts rely on the real-time dynamic pricing. Such hacking method would allow the competitors to set prices lower than baseline prices in the marketplace and therefore attract more consumers.
A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack is a malicious attempt to disrupt normal traffic of a targeted server, service or network by overwhelming the target or its surrounding infrastructure with a flood of Internet traffic. DDoS attacks achieve effectiveness by utilizing multiple compromised computer systems as sources of attack traffic. Online stores are especially vulnerable to those attacks especially during discount periods, like Black Friday. However, there are easy to implement measures, to protect against such type of attacks.
Vulnerabilities in firewall
Firewalls are usually important assets of every network security infrastructure. Their job is to restrict the inbound do outbound access and vice versa to specific IP addresses and networks. Firewall vulnerability might be caused because of an error made during firewall design, implementation, or configuration that can be exploited to attack the trusted network behind the firewall. Some common firewall vulnerabilities and misconfigurations include:
- Allowed ICMP traffic.
- Blocking traffic, instead of dropping it.
- Lack of port restriction.
- Unrestricted access to specific IPs and networks.
- Unnecessarily open TCP and UDP ports.
Preventive measures in Shopping Mall industry:
- Trademark your company name and logo
- Use a trusted ecommerce platform
- Use HTTP with SSL = HTTPS
- Make sure your site is PCI DSS compliant
- Keep your site updated
- Require strong passwords
- Know the signs of fraud